What it Means to be “Community Funded”

Alicia Prusinski

Alicia Prusinski

6/12/13 – Stories From the Field: This guest post is written by Alicia Prusinski, a student in the Global Social and Sustainable Enterprise MBA program.  Alicia is on Team Luciernaga, working in partnership with local non-profit Trees, Water & People on a rural Honduras solar lamp distribution company.

As I write this, Team Luciérnaga is just two days away from embarking upon our excursion in Honduras! I’m reminded of all the hard work, time, and planning this trip has required, and I couldn’t be more excited to help bring clean and inexpensive solar power to families who live on just dollars a day.

In order to make this all happen, Luciérnaga has needed to raise a substantial amount of funds so that we can travel into the farthest reaches of rural Honduras. It’s been both a wonderful, yet humbling experience, to ask, beg, and plead for money from just about anyone who was willing to listen! From business pitch competitions and crowd funding, I’m pleased to say we that have raised about 60% of our overall fundraising goal.

Community Funded logoHowever, if it hadn’t been for the help of GSSE alum Jill Brito and Community Funded, a Fort Collins-based crowd funding site that’s dedicated to socially responsible endeavors, our team could never have had so much success. Community Funded helped us convey our goals in an effective and compelling manner to hundreds of people, with an end result of over 50 generous supporters and 2,000 page views! I really can’t properly express my gratitude to Jill and Community Funded for all of their help and moral support. This whole fundraising process has equipped us well to seek capital for future ventures, and I’m very happy to have this new experience under my belt. Now the next leg of our journey begins, and I can’t wait to apply all of my GSSE learning in pursuit of making a better and more equitable world for all.

This entry was posted in Entrepreneurship, Global Orientation, Highly Applied Curriculum, Impact Investing and Startup Financing, Stories from the Field, Sustainable Enterprise and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to What it Means to be “Community Funded”

1. Thank you for your kind words about Community Funded. http://www.communityfunded.com hopes to change the world and you are a part of that simply by talking about it!

2. We are thrilled to be working with you and Community Funded, McCabe!